Friday, January 21, 2011

It's a Hell of a Town! Part Three

On to day three! Day two in NYC was hard to top, so we decided to sleep in and make our way out of the room by 1pm. We made our morning Starbucks stop and then headed out to the MoMA.

Now, there are a ton of things that I don’t understand about modern art. I can look at a piece hanging on the gallery wall and I usually think it pretty or interesting, but often I think to myself, “I could make that.” Is that wrong? I mean, I could just hang a keyboard on the wall and call it art? Don’t get me wrong, the majority of the pieces in the museum are truly beautiful art and as an artist myself I appreciate them, but there are seriously some things I just don’t understand. Maybe I’m naïve. Here were two of my favorite peices from the day...



My favorite part of the MoMA was the Andy Warhol video exhibit. Basically, there are videos of people looking into a camera. It sounds dull, but I felt like I could have lain on the floor of that gallery for hours and watched each video over and over to try and figure out what they were thinking. Each video made its own presence in the gallery.

Monroe at the Andy Warhol exhibit 

Elvis at Adny Warhol

After the MoMA we had some time to kill before meeting up with Kayla’s cousins for dinner, so we walked to Grand Central Station to people watch. That place really is a sight for sore eyes. There is always movement and motion and never a dull moment. I tend to enjoy the occasional people watching, so this was a fun pit stop for me. It makes you wonder where people are in a hurry to get to or why they aren’t in a hurry. Where do all these people go to every day? It’s really fascinating.


On the way to Grand Central


Grand Central Station
 A long day of watching people/art/videos made us thirsty, so we decided to grab a drink. We stopped at a nearby bar for a few beers and then headed back to the hotel to change for dinner with Kayla’s cousins and our friend Ashley. We took our first subway ride to Pio Pio, aka the BEST Peruvian food I’ve ever had in my life. The only downfall was we waited an hour past our reservation to finally get seated. The upside was we sipped on sangria until the table was finally ready. Dinner was worth the wait and our tummies were filled with delight after the meal. We also made up for our wait but taking all the mints from the bowl at the host stand, girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!!


Dinner at Pio Pio
 What’s the point of being in NYC if you don’t go out, right? In San Francisco everything closes at 2AM, but in NYC its 4AM! After dinner we took a cab to Greenwich Village. Don’t ask me the names of the places that we went to, but it was so much fun! Kayla’s cousin was in charge of where to go and we ended up (unintentionally) going to lesbian night at some bar. Hilarious!! I mean, you think SF lesbians are butch, go to NYC. Most of the chicks had cornrows, baseball caps and dress shirts on with baggy jeans. We ended up settling in with this nice group of girls, drank and danced the night way!





The next stop was the complete opposite of the previous bar. This was filled with dudes, and most of them were assholes. Let’s just say that a San Francisco Giants fan should NOT walk into Yankee territory without a warning. I ended up having to walk away from a conversation because this guy couldn’t believe we won and blah blah blah. He was talking some mad shit. It was a complete waste of my time. After that I pretty much stuck to hanging out with the girls and laughed at all the desperate men in the room. It was pretty sad. We had fun keeping to ourselves and bugging the DJ to play songs like “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “any AC/DC song” until he gave in and played “Anyway You Want It” because “Don’t Stop Believin’” bothered him too much. Silly man…

The night was close to an end we stayed out till around closing time and headed back to the hotel for a night cap and some pizza. Our night on the town was interesting and an all around good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment