Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Love or Hate for Valentines Day


valentines day, originally uploaded by *omnia*.
I’m an avid reader of all things San Francisco. I read SFGate.com, Fun Cheap SF, SFist and 7x7 on a daily basis. I’ve had Valentine’s Day on my mind for awhile now and I came across this article on 7x7 and could NOT get over how funny this is. I’m not big on Valentine’s Day. I think it’s a made up holiday to sell flowers and chocolate, but for some reason this year I feel the need to do something fun/new/different. Clearly all the pressure for Valentine’s Day is on the male in the relationship. What he buys his girlfriend, what he plans out, how much he plans, how much money does he spend, etc. But what about every other day of the year? Shouldn’t he show his love for you daily? Why Valentine’s Day? I wonder who decided that you have to show affection just this one day a year.

Maybe I’m the type of women that’s been disappointed on Valentine’s Day so many times that I know better than to expect a parade in my honor, but I think it’s also unrealistic to expect so much from men. I’d rather have my man give me flowers “just because” rather than because he feels pressured to do so on Valentine’s day. Maybe I’m a rare breed of woman in my Valentine’s Day thinking, but I doubt it. Don’t get me wrong, if I was smothered with flowers, candies, card and a perfect date I’d be ecstatic, but I don’t think there needs to be so much pressure. How do you feel about Valentine’s Day? Do you embrace it or want to burn every box of chocolates at Walgreens?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE V day- and I love that rock- so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah, I wish i took that photo! And v-day. i'm still conflicted.

    ReplyDelete